Tuesday, November 3, 2009

playing dress-up

Halloween was lots of fun around here. We had a doctor, a monkey and a baby ballerina.  For some reason I can't get the picture of all 3 kids to upload,  so I'm giving up and I'll try again later.
Sophie and Ollie got so much candy it's ridiculous.  Those little tiny chocolate bars call to me all day from the pantry and although one at a time I'm sure they are fine, I always end up eating about six and then feeling sick.  We didn't get as many kids at the door as we expected, so there are lots of leftovers too. Raised by a frugal packrat, I have difficulty throwing usable, edible things out.  I think they will have to go to school with Greg.  He can be the staff room candy fairy for a while.  We'll save a few "ollypops" and chocolate bars for the kids, they're still little enough that they forget how many there were already.
Sophie and I picked up a Sadie's costume at Michael's in the teddy bear aisle.  We even made her a silver sparkly pipe-cleaner tiara.  It won out over the little elf hat and the pea costume.




I was fond of the pea myself!  We were trying to scheme a tiny bird costume, maybe next year she can be a baby robin.
Sadie is about 4 1/2 lbs now (she'll be weighed at her appt. tomorrow) and is getting some good baby chub on her body.  We figure if things had gone according to plan, she likely would have been born yesterday by c-section like our other little breech babies.  She is a tiny newborn size still, but seems a bit more awake then your average baby born yesterday.  She looks....savvy somehow.
We are having a bit of a breastfeeding boot-camp because I'm going to lose my mind if the pumping continues for too much longer.  It's so much time and effort every day, and though I know it is the best thing for her to have my milk, she's going to have to start getting it for herself soon!  She is doing alright, and seems to be willing to latch on, but she falls asleep fairly quickly while nursing and is tough to wake from her little milky coma.  So we keep trying.  I also have to give her fortified feeds still, so there's no cold-turkey option on the bottles right now.  I don't love bottles.
She's worth all the effort for sure, and is getting cuter by the day.  She is very happy being carried, and has slept through a few outdoor walks bundled in the front pack, so hopefully the warm-ish weather continues.  Fresh air is good to ward off the insanity that sometimes comes with sleepless nights and new babies.  On that note...time to sleep.  Or try.  But hopefully sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment