Wednesday, January 13, 2010

No time for pomegranates



I had to toss out a pomegranate yesterday.  I was thinking it was a bit symbolic of where we are at right now.  I love those tasty little red seeds, but just looking at it every day, withering a bit more on my kitchen counter made me feel tired.  Dramatic I know, but really, the pomegranate is a time consuming fruit. And messy.  We've enough messes right now.  So I chucked it.  And I feel better.
We are tired around here.  The eternal newborn is lovely, cuddly, and lots of work.  Sadie is edging closer to seven pounds right now.  She is not gaining all that quickly, and we are searching for strategies to help get more food in her tummy.  Between the reflux and gassiness she is a bit squirmy and unhappy when eating.  It's our biggest challenge right now.  I want her to be a happy eater, but it's really not her favourite activity.  She likes napping a fair bit still, which is a lifesaver.  We see the pediatrician next week, so hopefully we can try something new to get her fattened up.
Meanwhile her little personality continues to emerge.  She is so sweet, and talks very softly to us when she is awake and content.  She smiles the biggest smiles for anyone who will get nice and close up and coo to her which is thrilling to Sophie who has been dying for some more interaction.  She seems to be quite laid back and is fortunately (for her survival) especially charming around 3:30 AM.


Now that the holidays are over, our visitors from out of town (Grampa Berries, and Jenni's Kelowna contingent) are gone, Greg is back to work and I am on my own with the gang.  Kendra is off soon on an adventure so my mornings are action packed.  Three carseats to buckle to get Soph to kindergarten.  Sophie's teacher has been very patient with my tardiness and hopefully soon I will make it there on time more consistently.  I just can't seem to figure out why we seem to be moving in rewind some mornings while the clock is in fast-forward mode.  Maybe I need to have everyone go to sleep in their clothes!  I lie awake thinking of time-savers....the crock pot, instant oatmeal (which isn't really instant, it takes at least 3 minutes), 2 in 1 shampoo, slip on shoes.....
 I know that some of you have been hoping for a little update and I've been wanting to write something down.  It's 11:30 right now and I am enjoying the sounds of silence (other than the washing machine which runs constantly) while fully aware that I should be in bed by now.  I am not that sharp at this time of night which is when I usually get my alone time, so I have been opting to pass out instead of blogging.  The stats for the little nestling are as follows:

She is 141 days old, 50 days past her due date.  6lb 14oz. She still has the sleeping patterns of a house cat.  She eats every 3 hours still, about 55ml at a time.  She is 47.5cm long.  She had her first taste of prune nectar today to try to help keep things moving to make her tummy more comfortable.  She liked it.  She is bigger than our medium sized dolly.  She fits a pair of shoes.  They are doll shoes that Nana got for her, but with really thick socks, they fit!


Maybe tonight will be the night that she sleeps through....... maybe.   Perhaps I should go to bed!
I'll leave you with this, the holy grail of Sadie photography.  You have no idea how tricky this can be to capture, it took two people to get a good one!



THIS is my paycheque!

No comments:

Post a Comment