Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SIX MONTHS!!




Today is Sadie's half-birthday.  I can't believe she is 6 months old already, although in the same span of time I believe Greg and I have aged at least 12 months! At her current weight of 8lbs5oz. she is more than five times her birthweight.  I was looking at her tiny NICU hat the other day and remembering that little nectarine of a head that we first touched.  She is healthy, beautiful, and her personality is unfolding day by day.  In the past few weeks I have had several powerful reminders of how truly precious each day really is, and how fortunate we are that Sadie is here. I feel like it has given me some perspective on our minor day to day struggles. It's all pretty manageable. 
 The fact that we can make Sadie laugh now is pretty amazing and it's a bit of an Olympic sport right now at our house.  So far I win Gold because my rendition of "the wheels on the bus" cracks her up for some reason.  She laughs just like Sophie did as a baby,  a low little chortle.  It's awesome.

We have made some progress with feeding, which has been her biggest issue since she came home.  With a switch to a milk-free formula, and a different drug for her reflux, she has become a much happier baby.  She is no longer writhing in discomfort when we feed her, and though she still isn't that enthusiastic at feeding time, I no longer feel like I am torturing her ounce by ounce.  I am hoping that she starts to enjoy eating a bit more so that it is easier to share the task with other people, so far I am still the only one who can get her to suck back a full bottle.  


Sophie is willing to take over at any time!




















The new drug seems to help prevent the massive laundry producing spit-ups that we were having, and we've only had one (oops, make that two) big barfs in five days.  A victory by any standards.  The washer is relieved.  We also have been doing a little "spoon play" with Sadie the last few days, and she actually opened her mouth up like a baby bird yesterday for some rice cereal.  Progress on all fronts.



Happy Half-Birthday little one!  We are so lucky to have you in our lives.







1 comment:

  1. This post got me all teary. You are lucky parents indeed, but I would say Sadie lucked out herself in the family department. Happy 1/2 Birthday to your little bird.

    ReplyDelete