This is what four week old Sadie looked like this morning when I went in to visit. Sleepy, sweet and swathed in pink. I'm hoping that the weeks to come will pass as quickly as the last four.
Not long after I arrived, the sad news came that she had to pack her bags and hit the road. The baby hotel at the Foothills was filled to capacity and they needed to free up some beds for sicker babies. They arranged for her to be transported this afternoon to the Rockyview Hospital's NICU. On one hand, we were very sad to leave the Foothills, as they have taken such great care of us there, and on the other hand, Sadie being stable enough to move is something to celebrate. I admit I wallowed in self-pity for a few minutes and there were tears. I like familiarity, and since we have had very little life outside the hospital in the last month, we have made friends there and become comfortable with the staff and procedures. Alas, I couldn't talk them out of evicting us, so the transport team arrived to pick up the precious cargo.
She looked very sweet and settled in her traveling bed.
Such a tiny little person on that big stretcher full of gear (with cases of frozen breastmilk perched on top)
We met her at the Rockyview, and once she had been settled into her new home, we set off for home. It will take a few days to settle into the new environment ourselves, but hopefully it will be where we stay until she is big enough to bring home. Our kids were so tired after waiting around all afternoon for everything to happen, so we will head back in the morning for a good visit. We are all pretty pooped.
The kids always manage to add a bit of levity to even the most stressful day. They found some pull-ups in the van and made fancy hats out of them! Laughter, tears and travels all packed into one very long day. Oh, and a milestone of sorts. Sadie weighed in at just over a kilogram when we arrived at the Rockyview. It's probably not very accurate, since she has never gained that much in a day before, but she's close!

Did you follow your little Sadie by car, ambulance-chasing so to speak? I love the diaper hats... Zoe invented a diaper bonnet some months ago but it works better with pull-ups! Glad to hear the transport went smoothly, this is a true milestone as Sadie gets to check out a little more of the scenery around where she lives. Can't wait to see the little kilo kid soon.
ReplyDeleteUncle Ross