Thursday, September 10, 2009

Movin' on up!

Sadie got promoted today.  When we peeked in on her earlier, she was not in her usual parking space.  Having been prepared for this by a previous move, I didn't panic.  Ok, I panicked a little bit.  The nurse in her old room told me to go down the hall, past the milk fridge and turn left and she would be the second baby I would come to.  Sure enough, there she was, sleeping away in her gazillion dollar princess bed.  No longer on the I.C.U. side, but on the Special Care side of the nursery.  This means that she is doing very well, and doesn't need quite as high a level of care anymore.  The nurses in the Special Care area usually take care of 3 babies at a time, instead of 2 in the I.C.U. side.  
She has been on nasal prongs exclusively for the last day and a half, and seems to be mature enough to handle the breathing on her own for the most part.  She is almost at full feeds (150 mL per Kg per day), and they have started fortifying my breastmilk with the extras that she was receiving through her I.V. line.  She's still not making a dent in the approximately 14L surplus I have stashed in the hospital deep-freeze, but at this rate will be catching up in no time.  Apparently her IV is going to be removed at midnight tonight so she will start tomorrow as "Sadie Unplugged".  
Greg has gone back in to be papa kangaroo for the evening with the camera in his pocket, and I promised I would go to bed early, so I don't have any new photos for tonight's update.  I do have some favourite pics that I don't think you have seen yet.
The first time we held hands.

Greg with our little handful.


Sophie's first peek.


Sadie's "beach" day under the lamps to treat mild jaundice on day 3. 
Note the cool shades.


More to come on how our little superhero is doing tomorrow.  I feel like I should sew her a tiny cape.  Or maybe I should go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear she's doing so well. Love the updates, and yes, superhero capes can wait... go to bed.

    ReplyDelete